recent first...or you can start with Algebra
of Infinite Justice below.)
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism Vs. the Climate by Naomi Klein, 2014. This is an important call to action, Klein, the syndicated columnist and author of The ShockDoctrine and No Logo points to climate change as both an imperative for rethinking how we live and an opportunity for reforming social and economic inequalities. A habitable Earth demands reducing greenhouse gases, and such reductions, in turn, will help create new kinds of communities.
- Don't even think about it: Why we are wired to ignore climate change By George Marshall Published August 22, 2014. This work begins to examine the social/psychology of why it is so difficult for many people to consider the realities of climate change.
- ‘Courage is Contagious’: Glenn Greenwald electrifies Chicago crowd speaking on Snowden, journalism and the NSA, great video at Socialism Conference 2013, June 28, 2013. Introduced by Jereby Scahill, Glenn Greenwald is what a journalist should be. 53 minutes is too short1
- Claire Daly, a real representative of the Irish people! Calls Obama a war criminal! Watch the video here. June 21, 2013.
- UNHRC condemns Israel Posted by Qumsiyeh at 1/31/2013 PDF Some serious charges and threatening outcomes.
- Experts Fear Collapse of Global Civilization by Stephen Leahy | 11 January 2013. The article on the Ehrlich's peer-reviewed article “Can a collapse of global civilization be avoided?” is adding to the recognition that the separation between science and political leadership doesn't serve the people.
- The Most Stressful Science Problem by Caren Cooper | January 10, 2013. Trying to figure out why science doesn't help us survive our suicidal societies, this paper argues for a merger of citizen and professionals, but naively ignores why corporate/government maintains the separation of powers to keep public policy from implementing democratic rule.
- What They Didn't Teach Us in School Today - and Yesterday by Walter Teague.
- Black Power's Gonna Get You Sucka: Right-Wing Paranoia and the Rhetoric of Modern Racism by Tim Wise. July 12, 2010. [This is posted many places on the internet, but this one has good internal links.]
- The US Social Forum: The Anti-Tea Party Experience. From The African World By Bill Fletcher, Jr. BlackCommentator.com Editorial Board. July 1, 2010.
- Cuba Calls on international community to face social catastrophes. June 19, 2010.
- The Crisis of Capitalism Talk - Animated! David Harvey's lecture, April 26, 2010.
- Democracy Charter. Submitted by J.H. O’Dell, Second Revision, October 2009.
- An Open Letter and appeal to Bill McKibben and 350.org. Lorna Salzman, environmental writer, lecturer and activist, asks McKibben why he and his organization have proposed no serious plan of action to realize the very important goal of their organization. April 25, 2010, PDF version.
- Two Right-Wing Billionaire Brothers Are Remaking America for Their Own Benefit: How billionaires' money took over Washington -- and created the mobs who rant against reform. by Jim Hightower, in Alternet, March 19, 2010
- At the precipice of Catastrophic Climate Change. Consider the message in the remake of the film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" 2008.. "At the precipice we change!" March 8, 2010.
- Fidel Castro's Reflection: The Threatening Dangers by Fidel Castro Ruz, March 7, 2010. PDF on this site..
- Socialism in the 21st Century: A Model with Changeable Pieces. Analysis of the lessons of past socialism and what it will have to be like to succeed in this century, by Juan Carlos Mondedero, March 5, 2010. First appeared in Revista envio 28. Doc this site..
- Fight Climate Change, Not Wars. Posted by Naomi Klein on Dec. 10, 2009..
the Battlefield: The Bush Administration steps up its secret moves
against Iran, by Seymore
Hersch, The New Yorker, June 6, 2008. Hersch reports on "another war based
on yet more lies" is coming soon.
we enter 2008 a strong editorial from the New York Times! "Looking
at America," THE NEW YORK TIMES, December 31, 2007. "There
are too many moments these days when we cannot recognize our
country. Sunday was one of them, as we read the account in The
Times of how men in some
of the most trusted posts in the nation plotted to cover up the torture of
prisoners by Central Intelligence Agency interrogators by destroying videotapes
of their sickening behavior. It was impossible to see the founding principles
of the greatest democracy in the contempt these men and their bosses showed
for the Constitution, the rule of law and human decency..."
Coup Has Occurred'By Daniel Ellsberg,
September 26, 2007 (Text of a speech delivered September 20, 2007) consortiumnews.com
Editor’s Note: Daniel Ellsberg, the former Defense Department
analyst who leaked the secret Pentagon Papers history of the Vietnam
War, offered insights into the looming war with Iran and the loss
of liberty in the United States at an American University symposium
on Sept. 20.
expands his analysis and warnings "The
Internationalization of Genocide," April
4, 2007. Fidel Castro continues his analysis of the
dangers of transforming food into fuel to the people of the world
and the environment. (On
on Food and Ethanol "More than three billion people
in the world are being condemned to a premature death from hunger
and thirst," March 28, 2007. Fidel
Castro analyzes the dangers of ethanol and other policies that
endanger the people of the world. (On
Rumsfeld is a fascist By
David DeGraw Posted on August 31, 2006, printed on September
In a time when non-stop JonBenet Ramsey coverage
passes as TV "journalism," we should all be thankful
that there are still a few real journalists on TV. Responding to Donald Rumsfeld's recent speech on
America facing a new form of "fascism," Keith Olbermann
delivered this critical commentary and proved that he is, indeed,
one of the rare hero journalists." (On
- Where is the Plan to Stop the Global Warming
Catastrophe - and why we will fail without one! Call for a plan
that spells out the scientific minimum we must do and by what deadline,
so people can see clearly what must be done. Walter Teague 8/6/06
Do Not Wish to Be Associated With Torture
by Ray McGovern - t r
u t h o u t Thursday
02 March 2006 Ray McGovern a 27-year veteran of the CIA, and 15 others
took action today in the halls of Congress. The 16 donned orange jumpsuit's
similar to those
worn by detainees at Guantánamo
Bay. They wore gags over their mouths decorated with one word - torture. Not
another word needed to be said as they walked the halls of Congress. McGovern
also returned his Intelligence Commendation Award
medallion which was given to him for "especially commendable service." He
delivered the medal to Congressman Pete Hoekstra along with the letter.
Crime Commission International Commission
of Inquiry On
Crimes Against Humanity Committed by the Bush Administration,
Jan. 20-22, 2006. Participants included Harry Belefonte, Dr.
Berkman, Vanessa Brocato,
Marjorie Cohn, Naina Dhingra, King Downing, Lindsey
German, Ted Glick, Dahr Jamail, Janis Karpinski, C. Clark Kissinger,
Chokwe Lumumba, Ray McGovern, Craig Murray, Barbara Olshansky,
Michael Ratner, Scott Ritter, Jeremy Scahill, Ida Susser, David
Swanson, Emma Lofton Woods, Beverly Wright, Daphne Wysham, and
and Liars By Cindy Sheehan
t r u t h o u t , Aug. 20, 2005 "The media are
wrong. The people who have come out to Camp Casey to help coordinate the press
with me are not putting words
in my mouth, they are taking words out of my mouth." Cindy Sheehan.
the Corporate Rich Oppose Environmentalism by Michael Parenti.
"Ecology is profoundly subversive of capitalism."
Sheehan in Dallas -
What One Mom has to Say to Bush by
Mike Ferner, CounterPunch.org Aug.
9, 2005. Troops Out Now Coalition
calls us to Support Cindy Sheehan!,
mother of Casey Sheehan, KIA 04/04/04 who is protesting the war outside of Bush's
This mother even uses the "I" word!
of British Parliament member George Galloway speaking truth to
the Senate! (Wash. Post 5/17/05-
brief, but relevant portion.) He not only denies US accusations
but turns the table and tells the Senate and the world that it is
the US government who is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of
thousands based on a "pack of lies!" Wow!!! (In case this gets erased,
here are some other sites: MSNBC
(3.38 min's) - BBC
(47 min's) - Video
Blogger (3 versions) - (CNN asks you to pay) From
this site too or Realplayer.
Downing Street Memo - and new Memos
coming out - make up the "smoking gun" minutes
of the British Prime Minister's meeting on July 23,
2002— eight months PRIOR to the invasion
of Iraq on March 20, 2003, proving the British and US governments
faked the evidence to fit the invasion policy. Printed by the Times
on May 1, 2005, but fearfully avoided by most US media
and more on this site and many more on Think
Progressive and also check
out WikiNews on
COMING WARS By Seymour
M. Hersh, New Yorker,
Jan. 24 & 31, 2005
Words For A Secular America, Ashcroft & Friends
George Washington & The Framers, by
Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine | fall 2004
for Progressives to Grow Up By
Frances Moore Lappé, Guerrilla
News Network, Thu, 23 Dec 2004 For a quick review, check out
the Commentary by Nathan
at Drivedemocracy.org, 1/9/05 and "A
Contribution to the Discussion" by Jack
Kurzweil on Portside, 11/27/04.
of an Economic Hitman, John Perkins, describes
how he helped the U.S. cheat poor countries around the globe, interviewed
on Democracy Now! 11/9/04.
transcript of bin Ladin's speech Aljazeera.net Nov. 1, 2004. Interesting to compare to Bush's claim that "they
hate our way of life!"
Unfeeling President By
E.L. Doctorow The
East Hampton Star, Sept. 16, 2004
Away Your Hankies...a message from Michael Moore on why
we should stop whining and increase our organizing! September
Democrats shouldn't be scared By Michael Moore / USA Today
September 3rd, 2004
thoughts on where we are! Sandra
Lupien Re: Prime-time Republicans are Hard to Take [See http://lists.portside.org --
Portside Moderator] Posted on Portside 9/3/04.
Power in the Age of Empire Arundhati
Roy's speaking on war, resistance and the Presidency to an
overflow crowd at the American Sociological Association in San
Francisco on August 16th, 2004. ( Her speech text/audio/web video
is available on Democracy
- Do Turkeys
Arundhati Roy, The Hindu, January 18, 2004
is the first step towards Iraqi independence "This is
the classic initial stage of guerrilla warfare against a colonial
Tariq Ali, The Guardian, November 3, 2003
W didn't read his father's advice on Iraq!
A World Transformed, by George Bush, Sr
two, three, what are they fighting for? [This
Robert Fisk, The Independent Oct. 28, 2003
Stand Our Ground, by William Rivers Pitt, keynote speaker
at the Veterans for Peace National Convention in San Francisco,
August 10, 2003
By Chris Strohm and Ingrid Drake, Guerrilla
News Network, July 21, 2003 [This
and Military Commanders for Change 27
former U.S. diplomats and military commanders condemn White House
policies in the Persian Gulf and the Middle East. June 13, 2004
Paul Krugman, NY Times May 19, 2003
Imperial Democracy (Buy One, Get One Free)
(Scroll down to find) by Arundhati Roy Presented in New York City
at The Riverside Church May 13, 2003[PDF]
Dumpty in Baghdad [This
How the Pentagon plans to dominate postwar Iraq by Robert Dreyfuss,
The American Prospect, May 1, 2003. Background on how the early
the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, The Real Role of Wayne Smith and
the 'Friends of Cuba'"
By Jon Hillson, April 16, 2003 NY Transfer
Forces Encourage Looting"
By Ole Rothenborg, Translated article from
Sweden's largest circulation daily, Dagens Nyheter,
Saturday April 11, 2003
in the Night by Bulldozers"
Memorial for Rachel Corrie includes a last letter, March 16, 2003
Is a Weapon
Arundhati Roy, LA Weekly, February 21 - 27, 2003
Believe your TV
Moore's Letter to Bush
Protests U.S. "oderint dum metuant: Let them hate so long as they
fear. (A favorite saying of Caligula.)" [Letter]
Arundhati Roy, Jan. 28, 2003
of Infinite Justice
Arundhati Roy, Sept. 29, 2001- Audio & With
There are many sites on Roy, More and
her work. Do
Also on this page Confronting and Instant
Mix, Public Power.